Thursday, March 24, 2005

Why Does The Sun Shine?

Howdy. I’m sittin’ in the Holiday Inn in Culpeper, Virginia. Today was one of those days where the weather wasn’t good enough to fly but the forecast wasn’t bad enough totally blow off work. The end result was a day spent updating my logbook and goofing off in the Wal-Mart toy department with my crazy roommate Sam. We may go into DC for some culture if it rains tomorrow.

Update on the laptop situation: Toshiba still hasn’t sent the part. I bought a Gateway and plan on selling the Toshiba if I ever see it again. Bastards.

Here is something I wrote back in Athens, GA when I didn’t have a computer.

As I banked into my first turn to the East this morning, a mountain sat silhouetted in front of a lake infused with the hazy glow of morning sunlight. The beauty overtook me. I smiled.

I thought about Einstein and that equation of his and how the same energy that created the heaven below me is stored in every atom of every human being. I thought about mortality and immortality. For my part, I wished I could be a nuclear bomb detonated in space, all the matter of me turned into pure and beautiful light traveling through the universe for all of eternity. Life without end, Amen. Maybe later…

I saw the cars parked outside a church below. “Oh, yeah. Its Sunday” Would God rather see me down there listening to a sermon about the light of the world than up here witnessing it first hand?

I thought about “They Might Be Giants.”

“The Sun is a mass of incandescent gas
A gigantic nuclear (not nucular) furnace
Where Hydrogen is built into Helium
At a temperature of millions of degrees”

How beautiful is that? Two Hydrogen atoms caught up in the heat and pressure of it all become so close that they are one. And their love child is Light.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful. Beautiful to think about the light of the world in your eyes. I can see the glory of humanity and all the colors of the world when i look at your words posted on my wall. It was worth it.