Monday, May 02, 2005

Clarification

Howdy. So I guess my last post bears some explaining. It would be more accurate to say that I gave notice. Initially, I had planned on my last day being Thursday, May 12 so that I could be home for my little brother’s graduation from Kansas State University. I figured that by then I would be close to the amount of flight time I’ve been working towards and I could make up the difference by doing some instructing this summer. I’ve saved up enough to live for a while without much income. Plus I know I’ll really need to study hard to prepare for job interviews with regional airlines or charter carriers. No telling how much brain leakage has occurred in the nearly two years since my last check ride, which reminds me that I need to renew my Flight Instructor’s Certificate this month too. Yee-haw. Actually, that should be a good review in itself: 16 hours of on-line study and an hour flying with another instructor.

When I informed my boss of my plans, he offered to give me the time off for graduation if I wanted to stay on till the first of June. I agreed even though its going to make it a little harder to fit the CFI renewal in before the end of the month. He also gave me the option of staying longer if I wanted. So its not like I’ve been going around burning bridges.

My work here in Wisconsin continues to drag on due to weather and problems with the imaging system. I only have about five hours worth of work left and if everything went smoothly, I could finish that in a short day. Things haven’t been going that way though. We ran the gamut of precipitation here today, from rain to sleet to snow to hail. It sounds like if I ever get done here, I’ll probably be going back to upstate New York. That was another reason for wanting to be done sooner, since I don’t get my per diem when I’m up there. Its considered “home base.” So I’m going to start looking for places to camp within biking distance to the airport.

I’ve had a great go at this and I certainly don’t have any regrets. The places I’ve been, I probably never would have been otherwise. I’ve learned humanity from the many amazing people I’ve met whose welcoming kindness I’ll never be able to fully repay. I’ve read some great books. It’s time to get on with life, though. I’m ready to stop being the random homeless guy…for a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so that means we'll see you in ft. worth in like July right? ;)

Jason

Anonymous said...

Try June 26, for Josh and I's wedding. Of course, anytime we'll be able to see you will be fine. :-)