Sunday, March 19, 2006

Scratch... Scratch... Scratch...

Howdy. Today finds me in “The Litter Box.” This is the name previous residents gave the dilapidated trailer house in which I’ll be sleeping while I’m here in Juneau, Alaska. I’ll post some pictures, but it feels like a cross between a hunting shack and a frat house with its décor of randomly placed fishing reels, FHM pinups, and holes shaped like drunken fists punched in the ceiling. In case you were wondering, the official beer sponsor of Super Bowl XXXIX was Coors Light. The giant banner in the living room told me.

I don’t think the temperature has risen above 12 deg. F. during the three days since I arrived in Juneau. Even the locals are saying that it’s been a long time since it was this cold here. A warning just cut into TBS’ airing of “JAWS” to inform us that a winter storm is on the way which could dump one to two feet of snow on Juneau in the next 24 hours.

It’s been incredibly clear though, and over the last couple days I’ve gotten to fly to several of the towns and villages my new employer services. Flying over the icy green bays and canals, in between snowy mountains, forested islands, and aquamarine glaciers is magical. It’s like seeing the world like I did as a little kid. Everything is so big and colorful and full of mystery.

I have so much to learn in the next couple weeks, including lots of radio frequencies, the ins and outs of the Chelton Synthetic Vision EFIS system the names of all those breathtaking mountains, islands, and glaciers. I’m sure it’ll be worth it though. This place is incredible.