Thursday, January 13, 2005

Emissary? Me?

Howdy. So, despite the storms, everything was dry when I got to the campsite last night. I can tell that you are all as relieved as I was. I was also relieved to discover the showers did in fact shoot hot water. They are the sort you would expect find next to a beach, complete with swollen bars of soap, and dirty Q-Tips on the floor. I imagine the place teems with sandy families during the summer months. Last night, though, I had it all to myself. Felt a little like being in the abandoned summer restaurant in “Goonies.” I was sort of surprised the lights worked, and let’s just say I’d rather defecate in a Fedex box…

My imagination was running wild due to my reading “Cloud Atlas” by David Mitchell. This novel (or at least what I’ve read of it so far) reminds me of “The Red Violin” in that the story, centered on music and literature, spans several centuries and the characters all seem doomed by some cosmic force; not the sort of primer a person might want for a solitary outdoor living experience.

How the wind howled last night! I could hear the waves approaching before they slammed into the hull of my little tent. Wind chimes hanging from the neighbors’ RV would crescendo into cacophony with each swell. I finally hunkered down in my sleeping bag, letting the chimes lull me into a substantially deeper sleep than the night before.

Woke up this morning to discover that, as expected, the winds exceeded our operational limits, so I took one for the team and went back to sleep. I met the guys, including our cool new pilot Joe, out at the airport around noon to discuss which flight plans remain unfinished (most of them). I cashed in a fuel receipt for a free burger. It’s a tough job…

I figured that since I’ve been in town for all of nine days now, it was time to start meeting the local dignitaries. So for dinner, I, un-showered and unshaved, wearing my dirty old K-State ball cap, had a great Philly cheese steak at Texadelphia with Fort Worth’s Mayor, Ken Barr. Actually, he was there addressing a young alumni club from TCU. He talked a lot about Alliance airport and what a progressive and beneficial move it had been to build an airport specifically for cargo, not expecting to serve any passengers. After listening to his speech and the ensuing Q&A, I introduced myself as a pilot helping to make an aerial map of his county. I thought maybe he would know the name of the company I work for even though our relationship is with the county. He didn’t, but he at least acted interested in what we do. Maybe I’ll make it a goal to meet the mayors of all the towns I stay in. I think that would be very educational.

Well, I’m going to fend off the Fratelli’s so I can take a shower and catch some Z’s. We might actually fly tomorrow.

No comments: