Monday, January 24, 2005

So... Now What?

Howdy. Guess where I’m at. Yeah, I’m at Panther City Coffee. Good guess. I started coming here because the campground didn’t have internet. Shocking, I know. I haven’t been camping since we changed airports. The campground at Benbrook Lake, near the new airport, charges ten bucks a night and closes the gate at 9 pm. Unacceptable. So, even though the new airport has wireless internet, I find myself here for the quirky atmosphere and fresh roasted coffee.

I made a really pathetic plea during my set on Saturday night, something about being homeless and maybe sleeping in the rental van in the airport parking lot that night. This led to an offer from my sister’s college roommate and her husband to stay with them. I stayed in the “Angel Room.” An angel sits on the bed. Every wall hanging and desk trinket is an angel. One is made of wheat. Last night, they said I could stay as long as I needed. I don’t think they knew what they were saying, so we’ll play it by ear.

I had such a busy week. I spent all of last week flying and preparing for the debut weekend of my nation-wide tour. I hereby announce a contest to name said tour. The winner gets… uh… I hereby announce a sub-contest to name the prize of the first contest; same prize for both. I digress…

I almost don’t know what to do with myself now that I’m not spending every free moment writing lyrics in my notebook. It was worth it though. Playing for the crowd here was the most fun I’ve had since I left Kansas City. I still love to watch peoples’ reactions to my acoustic version of “Baby Got Back.” The coffee shop guys were kind enough to back me up on that one. They didn't even seem to mind that I referred to them as my "Fly Girls."
“Metrosexual Man” also went over really well.

One of the more memorable moments came when, just before the most graphic verse of an off color Irish drinking song, a lady walked in with her two young children. I had no choice but to finish the song, but the whole place fell apart at the timing. I jokingly told the lady that she really should have thought twice about bringing her kids to a coffee shop.

“Better Off Dad,” featuring 14 year old Jaime Harris, kicked ass both nights and I am very grateful that they let me crash their party. You can download their music at www.betteroffdad.com. I’m sure I won’t be as lucky landing gigs in other places I end up as I have been in Fort Worth. I hear some of you asking “And just how did that happen?”

So there I was, playing the house guitar at Panther City Coffee. After “Baby Got Back,” and a couple other tunes, Jason, Badger’s nephew/night manager/music coordinator, told me I should open for Better Off Dad. I had already seen their set, so I was honored to accept (on the condition that I was still in Fort Worth). There you have it.







No comments: