Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Hot, Clean, Showers: Way Under-Rated!

Howdy. Today was a very long day. We found out that, due to problems with condensation on the lenses, our customer wants us to hangar the planes instead of leaving them tied down outside. Since there aren’t any public hangars at Hicks, we had to relocate to another airport 20 miles southwest of Ft Worth. It took us 3 hours to ferry the planes down to Bourland Field, and to ferry ourselves back to our cars at Hicks. To top it off, the airport attendant wasn’t there when Joe landed at 7:03. They close at 7:00. I guess he didn’t understand what we were going through to get these planes indoors tonight. It would have saved us about two hours if we could have waited to put the second plane down there tomorrow. Frustration. The new home base seems all right, but no more free hamburgers. Its actually a fly-in community, where really rich people live with their airplanes. Driving back from Bourland , Joe and I agreed that we had been spoiled with our first assignment, what with the on-field diner and everything.

After seven nights at the lake and a really long day, I decided it was time to splurge on a real bed and (more importantly) a real shower. I’m staying at the Days Inn across from the Stockyards. The shower I took tonight reminded me of the virtue of self-denial. It makes the simplest things seem indulgent. I’ll probably stay up here for a couple days while I investigate other camping options closer to Bourland.

No comments: